Skip to main content

Big lessons in small packages

Motherhood is hard.
I can't tell you the number of nights I worry if I am doing enough, being enough, getting enough parenting answers right.
I've always been one to want to get it right the first time. I don't particularly care to attempt something that I think I'll fail. I'm not much of a risk taker. Give me a planner and no uninterrupted plans and I'm a happy person.
But kids don't work like that.
Let's be really honest--life doesn't work like that.
Kids are loud, chaotic, curious, energetic and non-stop. They can't wait to experience everything and I'm nervous about experiencing anything.
They soak up all the emotional, mental and physical energy I have during the day and then have the audacity to ask for more energy during the night for whatever reason.
There is no day off, no holiday break, no weekends.
I am fully responsible to feed, clothe, care for, nurture, teach and protect each one every. single. day. Anyone else feel a little overwhelmed by the magnitude of the responsibility of it all?

But... This is what I dreamed of. This is what I wanted. These small people were something I had in my heart years ago. Yet, I NEVER, EVER imagined it would be this hard.
No one tells you it's going to be this hard. Even if they did tell me, I wouldn't have believed it because there is no way to fully understand motherhood until you experience it.
It's love so fierce that people are more correct than they know when they compare a human mother to an angry mother bear.
It's an exhaustion so deep that it is hard to recover from.
It's a day filled with an extreme emotional pendulum of thoughts and feelings you didn't know existed.
It's a daily death of self, a personal sacrifice, for the benefit of another life.
It almost feels like a process of sanctification.

Sanctification: to make holy (Dictionary.com)

Then the thought occurred to me...
These children that the Lord gave me... maybe it is not supposed to be so much of me trying to perfect them, but God using them to perfect me--to teach me more about Him, unconditional love, mercy, compassion, faith and selflessness.
What if God's greatest blessings are the lessons learned from them?
Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self control.
Isn't that what I pray for?
I may need to move up to the front of the class and pay more attention to the lesson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Because of great empathy, Jesus wept

John 11: 32-33&35 "Now when Mary came to where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet, saying to him, 'Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.' When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled. Jesus wept." As I was reading through this chapter and familiar story, I was suddenly struck with the depth of this particular part of the story. Jesus, being God, knew that He was about to raise Lazarus from the dead. Not only that, but a few verses earlier, He even told His disciples what He was about to do. The death of Lazarus was not news to Jesus--nor, in my mind, do I imagine a very troubling thought to Him since He knew what was about to happen. So then, why did He weep? Why was He greatly troubled? Because He saw the deep pain of His friends. His empathy was SO great that even knowing what was about to happen He still wept with His friends. "Fo

Life in a seed

I wasn't a science major but if I understand the very basic reproduction cycle of a plant it goes something like this... An adult tree has these beautiful flowers which bees are attracted to. These bees shake the pollen into the "ovary" of the plant for fertilization. The fertilized plant embryo (with the proper care and nutrition) blossoms into a delicious fruit. Inside that fruit there is a seed, and that seed can be planted into the ground to grow another adult tree. Question... Is there life in the seed? Is the seed valuable of its own accord? Two adults who fell in love and were married. The male adult "pollinated" so to speak, the female adult, thereby creating an embryo. Already equipped with its own little beating heart, this little embryo (whom I believe was 7 or 8 weeks at that moment) grew into a fetus with the proper care and nutrition. At halfway (20 weeks) through the pregnancy, the baby looks like this picture above. She already

I'm Not Losing Me

I had a bad day yesterday. You know the one—a handful of little aggravating circumstances that haven’t seen results yet topped with a new unforeseen unfortunate circumstance and I broke... big, hard sobs that I had to run and stifle lest I terrify my children. My bed was my place of comfort until I could cry no more. God, where are you? My heart cried. Silence I know the right answers, the right Scriptures, the right attitudes; but at that moment I was broken—my shield and sword no longer defending but laid aside next to my crumbled self. Depression’s ugly face taunted me and tempted me to let him hold my hand. This foe whom I hadn’t seen in a long time was here again waiting for me to decide whose side I was really on. God, why won’t you just miraculously fix this growing lists of challenges I’m facing? Haven’t I tithed faithfully and given offerings? Haven’t I prayed, and fought with Scriptures, and served You? Why am I in this spot?! The vision of Peter