Skip to main content

Run freely


What makes you feel like dancing? What makes you feel free and alive and full of joy? I feel like the word "obedience" is not the first thing that comes to mind. Am I right?
Ironically, as I age, I learn that obedience is one of the basic parts to a foundation of a fulfilling life.

Reading Psalm chapter 119 (mind you, it's long but how it has become one of my favorites), I began to notice the number of times the psalmist mentions feeling free because he follows God's commands.
Think of it this way...
As a mother, I can let my children run around the front yard and play to their heart's content, as long as they do not attempt to cross the street. If they even come close to the street, you will hear the mommy roar STOP! As most young children, I imagine they would pout or not understand why they are not allowed to cross the street. I know something they do not know. I know that if a car were to come speeding by, it might not stop in time, God forbid, they were in the street. I know that past the line of our property there is much more danger than they are aware of. I know that if they do not heed my warning, consequences might come.
So as long as they veer away from the invisible line of safety, they can run as freely as they want.
Yet imagine if the whole time we were outside, all they wanted to do was sit, fuss and whine about how they could not cross that line. A whole afternoon could pass by and that time would be lost forever in a sea of annoyance and discontentment simply because they did not trust me that the safest place for them to run free is away from the danger.

"Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the LORD. Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart." (Ps. 119:1-2)
"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free." (Ps. 119:32)
"I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life." (Ps. 119:93)
"I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path." (Ps. 119:104)
"You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word." (Ps. 119:114)

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Because of great empathy, Jesus wept

John 11: 32-33&35 "Now when Mary came to where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet, saying to him, 'Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.' When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled. Jesus wept." As I was reading through this chapter and familiar story, I was suddenly struck with the depth of this particular part of the story. Jesus, being God, knew that He was about to raise Lazarus from the dead. Not only that, but a few verses earlier, He even told His disciples what He was about to do. The death of Lazarus was not news to Jesus--nor, in my mind, do I imagine a very troubling thought to Him since He knew what was about to happen. So then, why did He weep? Why was He greatly troubled? Because He saw the deep pain of His friends. His empathy was SO great that even knowing what was about to happen He still wept with His friends. "Fo

Life in a seed

I wasn't a science major but if I understand the very basic reproduction cycle of a plant it goes something like this... An adult tree has these beautiful flowers which bees are attracted to. These bees shake the pollen into the "ovary" of the plant for fertilization. The fertilized plant embryo (with the proper care and nutrition) blossoms into a delicious fruit. Inside that fruit there is a seed, and that seed can be planted into the ground to grow another adult tree. Question... Is there life in the seed? Is the seed valuable of its own accord? Two adults who fell in love and were married. The male adult "pollinated" so to speak, the female adult, thereby creating an embryo. Already equipped with its own little beating heart, this little embryo (whom I believe was 7 or 8 weeks at that moment) grew into a fetus with the proper care and nutrition. At halfway (20 weeks) through the pregnancy, the baby looks like this picture above. She already

I'm Not Losing Me

I had a bad day yesterday. You know the one—a handful of little aggravating circumstances that haven’t seen results yet topped with a new unforeseen unfortunate circumstance and I broke... big, hard sobs that I had to run and stifle lest I terrify my children. My bed was my place of comfort until I could cry no more. God, where are you? My heart cried. Silence I know the right answers, the right Scriptures, the right attitudes; but at that moment I was broken—my shield and sword no longer defending but laid aside next to my crumbled self. Depression’s ugly face taunted me and tempted me to let him hold my hand. This foe whom I hadn’t seen in a long time was here again waiting for me to decide whose side I was really on. God, why won’t you just miraculously fix this growing lists of challenges I’m facing? Haven’t I tithed faithfully and given offerings? Haven’t I prayed, and fought with Scriptures, and served You? Why am I in this spot?! The vision of Peter