Skip to main content

He gave it all away

"What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ..."Philippians 3:8 NIV

"Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ..."Philippians 3:8 NLT

"The very credentials these people are waving around as something special, I’m tearing up and throwing out with the trash—along with everything else I used to take credit for. And why? Because of Christ. Yes, all the things I once thought were so important are gone from my life. Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant—dog dung. I’ve dumped it all in the trash so that I could embrace Christ and be embraced by him. I didn’t want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules when I could get the robust kind that comes from trusting Christ—God’s righteousness."Philippians 3:7-9 MSG

My Bible is the NIV version but I wanted to read this particular passage in a few different translations because of the strong impact it made on me today. I actually highlighted this passage in my Bible in the past but re-reading it today, the story of the young rich ruler came to mind.

If you're not familiar with it, there is a young rich ruler who approached Jesus and asked Him what he must do to have eternal life. The young man had an impressive life resume but Jesus told him to do one thing that caused him to walk away pensive--Jesus told him to sell everything he had and give it to the poor, and then come and follow Him. (Mark 10:17-27) (Read the story here: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+10%3A17-27&version=NASB)

I was convicted reading this passage again today thinking do I really count it all as worthless compared to my relationship with Christ? Could I really dismiss it A-L-L?

Essentially this is what Jesus was asking that young rich man to do. To leave it all behind. To let it all go. To place no value on anything else--education credentials, ancestral privileges, wealth, popularity connections--whatever it was that made him feel special. Sell it. Strip yourself of all medals, plaques, titles and crowns. Count it all as garbage compared to simply being with Him.

Not that I think He sees anything wrong with these things as items in and of themselves, but that they became idols in His place. They became our value, our identity, our means of worth. He is left to sit in a space on the side as part of our identity paperwork instead of being the One that makes it all worthwhile.

Do I count it all as loss compared to Him?

He counted Heaven and all His majesty as loss in return for me.

"What is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?" (Psalm 8:4)

I am everything to Him.
Is He really everything to me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Because of great empathy, Jesus wept

John 11: 32-33&35 "Now when Mary came to where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet, saying to him, 'Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.' When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled. Jesus wept." As I was reading through this chapter and familiar story, I was suddenly struck with the depth of this particular part of the story. Jesus, being God, knew that He was about to raise Lazarus from the dead. Not only that, but a few verses earlier, He even told His disciples what He was about to do. The death of Lazarus was not news to Jesus--nor, in my mind, do I imagine a very troubling thought to Him since He knew what was about to happen. So then, why did He weep? Why was He greatly troubled? Because He saw the deep pain of His friends. His empathy was SO great that even knowing what was about to happen He still wept with His friends. "Fo

Life in a seed

I wasn't a science major but if I understand the very basic reproduction cycle of a plant it goes something like this... An adult tree has these beautiful flowers which bees are attracted to. These bees shake the pollen into the "ovary" of the plant for fertilization. The fertilized plant embryo (with the proper care and nutrition) blossoms into a delicious fruit. Inside that fruit there is a seed, and that seed can be planted into the ground to grow another adult tree. Question... Is there life in the seed? Is the seed valuable of its own accord? Two adults who fell in love and were married. The male adult "pollinated" so to speak, the female adult, thereby creating an embryo. Already equipped with its own little beating heart, this little embryo (whom I believe was 7 or 8 weeks at that moment) grew into a fetus with the proper care and nutrition. At halfway (20 weeks) through the pregnancy, the baby looks like this picture above. She already

I'm Not Losing Me

I had a bad day yesterday. You know the one—a handful of little aggravating circumstances that haven’t seen results yet topped with a new unforeseen unfortunate circumstance and I broke... big, hard sobs that I had to run and stifle lest I terrify my children. My bed was my place of comfort until I could cry no more. God, where are you? My heart cried. Silence I know the right answers, the right Scriptures, the right attitudes; but at that moment I was broken—my shield and sword no longer defending but laid aside next to my crumbled self. Depression’s ugly face taunted me and tempted me to let him hold my hand. This foe whom I hadn’t seen in a long time was here again waiting for me to decide whose side I was really on. God, why won’t you just miraculously fix this growing lists of challenges I’m facing? Haven’t I tithed faithfully and given offerings? Haven’t I prayed, and fought with Scriptures, and served You? Why am I in this spot?! The vision of Peter