Skip to main content

Are you thinking what I'm thinking you're thinking?!

Have you read the book of Ezekiel? It's an...interesting one to say the least. God asked Ezekiel to do some strange things (like lying on his side for 390 days); but what I found fascinating is that before all this started, He told Ezekiel multiple times not to be afraid of the people or what they would say. (Ezekiel 2) The fact that He said it multiple times must mean that it was a message that He really wanted Ezekiel to remember. He knew that what He was calling Ezekiel to do was not going to be easy and people pleasing was not going to be an option for him.

"The fear of human opinion disables; trusting in God protects you from that." (Proverbs 29:25 MSG)

While reading Ezekiel 2 I almost felt as if that message was meant for me--as if God was saying to me, "Maria, don't be afraid of them or of their words." How often am I one to be afraid of people--what they think, what they say, what I think they are thinking or saying about me. It's enough fear that  it stops me from doing, saying or writing something that I feel led to at times. (Courage--it's a work in progress for  me.) Yet, I know that part of what God wants me to do is write, speak and share. Who knows if it's just for a few special readers like you or maybe a few more down the road someday; but how can I expect Him to use me if I'm too afraid of what will be said?
The world is full of those who are so quick and happy to virtually rip others apart through the convenient veil of the internet. Facebook and its many comments from all different points of view are enough to make me hesitant to share opinions of my own lest someone comment back with mean words. After all words mean so  much to me. (Words do hurt!) In a world where it feels like everything has already been said and no one values anyone else's perspective but their own, what difference does one comment make?  Oh the power of the tongue... it is a great power indeed if it yields enough fear to hinder some from their calling. I imagine this is exactly why God encouraged Ezekiel so many times not to be afraid of the people or their words.

How about you? What should you say or not say? What should you watch or not watch? What should you do or not do? How much of it all is influenced by how afraid you are of what those around you will think or say?
How  much of your calling are you letting go because of their possible words?

Godly courage... It's a work in progress for me. I continually lean on the Holy Spirit for answers and guidance. He's teaching  me little by little. Thank God He said not to worry about tomorrow (Matthew 6) because I'm doing all I can today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Because of great empathy, Jesus wept

John 11: 32-33&35 "Now when Mary came to where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet, saying to him, 'Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.' When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled. Jesus wept." As I was reading through this chapter and familiar story, I was suddenly struck with the depth of this particular part of the story. Jesus, being God, knew that He was about to raise Lazarus from the dead. Not only that, but a few verses earlier, He even told His disciples what He was about to do. The death of Lazarus was not news to Jesus--nor, in my mind, do I imagine a very troubling thought to Him since He knew what was about to happen. So then, why did He weep? Why was He greatly troubled? Because He saw the deep pain of His friends. His empathy was SO great that even knowing what was about to happen He still wept with His friends. "Fo

Life in a seed

I wasn't a science major but if I understand the very basic reproduction cycle of a plant it goes something like this... An adult tree has these beautiful flowers which bees are attracted to. These bees shake the pollen into the "ovary" of the plant for fertilization. The fertilized plant embryo (with the proper care and nutrition) blossoms into a delicious fruit. Inside that fruit there is a seed, and that seed can be planted into the ground to grow another adult tree. Question... Is there life in the seed? Is the seed valuable of its own accord? Two adults who fell in love and were married. The male adult "pollinated" so to speak, the female adult, thereby creating an embryo. Already equipped with its own little beating heart, this little embryo (whom I believe was 7 or 8 weeks at that moment) grew into a fetus with the proper care and nutrition. At halfway (20 weeks) through the pregnancy, the baby looks like this picture above. She already

I'm Not Losing Me

I had a bad day yesterday. You know the one—a handful of little aggravating circumstances that haven’t seen results yet topped with a new unforeseen unfortunate circumstance and I broke... big, hard sobs that I had to run and stifle lest I terrify my children. My bed was my place of comfort until I could cry no more. God, where are you? My heart cried. Silence I know the right answers, the right Scriptures, the right attitudes; but at that moment I was broken—my shield and sword no longer defending but laid aside next to my crumbled self. Depression’s ugly face taunted me and tempted me to let him hold my hand. This foe whom I hadn’t seen in a long time was here again waiting for me to decide whose side I was really on. God, why won’t you just miraculously fix this growing lists of challenges I’m facing? Haven’t I tithed faithfully and given offerings? Haven’t I prayed, and fought with Scriptures, and served You? Why am I in this spot?! The vision of Peter