Skip to main content

My Mistake

Mistake: "an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc" (Dictionary.com)

Mistakes are not my favorite. I tend to lean toward the personality of wanting everything to be done correctly and efficiently the first time. You can imagine how well this personality bend has worked as a mother of young children. God is gracious in His living life examples and endurance training.

Frustratingly, part of this personality trait also lends itself to self shaming. When I do make a mistake I was (I say was because God is working on this with me) the most brutal judge, jury and journalist to myself. Mentally replaying the mistake and how I could have corrected it, until I am completely disgusted with myself. Then of course comes the next logical cycle of condemning myself to a life void of meaning and influence because how could God possibly use someone so riddled with faults?

Yet, to my great relief, the Bible is packed with personalities who were also riddled with faults. Not only did God still use these mistaken people but He immortalized their names and stories as examples. Even calling one "a man after His own heart." (King David, Acts 13:22)
Did you know that John the Baptist (who on his resume can list the following quote from Jesus, "among those born of women there is no one greater than John", Luke 7:28) needed reassurance? While in prison, he doubted and even expressed that doubt out loud but he was not shamed by God nor was his name and testimony stricken from being included in the Bible.
Of all these stories, one lady who was chosen to be the mother of a long awaited son, has always stuck out to me--Sarah.
Sarah was the wife of Abraham and had long past her years of childbirth age. Yet one day, there was a promise made (and mind you that promise was confirmed a few times) about a great lineage that would come from one boy--her boy. She laughed--literally laughed out loud, as in lol. Not only did she not believe this promise, but because the fulfillment of the promise was long in coming (in her eyes) she doubted so severely that she made a massive mistake--she successfully conveyed her doubt to her husband, who then took her advice and his decision ultimately changed history. Even with all the mistakes and unbelief on Sarah's part, God STILL fulfilled His promise about a son--her son.

My goodness... if even Sarah could still be used by God, maybe just maybe, I with all my many mistakes can still be considered in right standing with God.

For condemnation does not from Him.
Confusion does not come from Him.
Shame does not come from Him.
Forgiveness does.
Acceptance does.
Meaning does.

"8The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.
9He will not always accuse,
nor will he harbor his anger forever;
10he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.
11For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;
12as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us." (Psalm 103:8-12)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Because of great empathy, Jesus wept

John 11: 32-33&35 "Now when Mary came to where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet, saying to him, 'Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.' When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled. Jesus wept." As I was reading through this chapter and familiar story, I was suddenly struck with the depth of this particular part of the story. Jesus, being God, knew that He was about to raise Lazarus from the dead. Not only that, but a few verses earlier, He even told His disciples what He was about to do. The death of Lazarus was not news to Jesus--nor, in my mind, do I imagine a very troubling thought to Him since He knew what was about to happen. So then, why did He weep? Why was He greatly troubled? Because He saw the deep pain of His friends. His empathy was SO great that even knowing what was about to happen He still wept with His friends. "Fo

Life in a seed

I wasn't a science major but if I understand the very basic reproduction cycle of a plant it goes something like this... An adult tree has these beautiful flowers which bees are attracted to. These bees shake the pollen into the "ovary" of the plant for fertilization. The fertilized plant embryo (with the proper care and nutrition) blossoms into a delicious fruit. Inside that fruit there is a seed, and that seed can be planted into the ground to grow another adult tree. Question... Is there life in the seed? Is the seed valuable of its own accord? Two adults who fell in love and were married. The male adult "pollinated" so to speak, the female adult, thereby creating an embryo. Already equipped with its own little beating heart, this little embryo (whom I believe was 7 or 8 weeks at that moment) grew into a fetus with the proper care and nutrition. At halfway (20 weeks) through the pregnancy, the baby looks like this picture above. She already

I'm Not Losing Me

I had a bad day yesterday. You know the one—a handful of little aggravating circumstances that haven’t seen results yet topped with a new unforeseen unfortunate circumstance and I broke... big, hard sobs that I had to run and stifle lest I terrify my children. My bed was my place of comfort until I could cry no more. God, where are you? My heart cried. Silence I know the right answers, the right Scriptures, the right attitudes; but at that moment I was broken—my shield and sword no longer defending but laid aside next to my crumbled self. Depression’s ugly face taunted me and tempted me to let him hold my hand. This foe whom I hadn’t seen in a long time was here again waiting for me to decide whose side I was really on. God, why won’t you just miraculously fix this growing lists of challenges I’m facing? Haven’t I tithed faithfully and given offerings? Haven’t I prayed, and fought with Scriptures, and served You? Why am I in this spot?! The vision of Peter